Publications & documents
The VWSG produces a bulletin once a year in August. The publication of the bulletin is timed to coincide with the Annual General Meeting.
All previous VWSG bulletins are freely available for download. Visit VWSG Bulletins index page
Banding and flagging summaries
The VWSG has accumulated a significant amount of banding and flagging data over the last four decades. Marcel Klaassen and other members of the VWSG scientific committee have been working hard to pull together all that data together and providing some summaries of key findings. They have also produced some summaries of AWSG banding data, much of which has also been collected by VWSG members over the years.
The following summaries are now available to view:
The chart below shows the current leg flagging colour scheme used in the EAAF. You can click on the link below to download a copy of the chart or check out the EAAFP website for more information.
Below is a list of the five most recent research papers from produced using VWSG data and / or resulting from collaborations with VWSG members. If there are VWSG publications missing from this list, please email us.
- Weston, M. A., Clarke, K., Maguire, G. S., & Sumner, J. 2020. Morphological and molecular evidence of population divergence in a widespread shorebird across its southern mainland Australian distribution. Conservation Genetics. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10592-020-01286-2
- Minton, C., R. Jessop, C. Hassell, R. Patrick, R. Atkinson and I. Marks. Wader breeding success in the 2018 Arctic Summer, based on juvenile ratios of birds which spend the non-breeding season in Australia. Stilt in press.
- Minton, C., R. Atkinson, K. Leung and R. Patrick. 2018. VWSG King Island trip (17-26 March 2018). Stilt 72: 56-61.
- Minton, C., R. Jessop, C. Hassell, R. Patrick, R. Atkinson and I. Marks. 2018. Wader breeding success in the 2017 Arctic Summer, based on juvenile ratios of birds which spend the non-breeding season in Australia. Stilt 72: 62-65.
- Wille M, Eden J-S, Shi M, Klaassen M, Hurt AC, Holmes EC. 2018. Virus–virus interactions and host ecology are associated with RNA virome structure in wild birds. Mol Ecol. 2; 27:5263–5278. https://doi.org/10.1111/mec.14918
The VWSG has a number of unpublished documents and guidance material. Click on the thumbnail to download the PDF.
If you wish to make a request for access to VWSG data, please contact the Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee
Beach signs and maps for South Australia
Below are eight beach signs from SA – maps and information on protecting the shorebirds (2012).
Migrants from the north
Resident shorebirds – threats
Shorebirds use these beaches